AgLanta Academy is a workshop series for AgLanta Grows-A-Lot pilot teams (and public ) to learn, share best practices, and grow! Please visit the Aglanta resource page to connect with additional urban agriculture training opportunities and partners in AgLanta.
Academy # 1: Urban Garden Site Plans + SAPs
When: Saturday, January 13, 2018 (2:30-4:30 PM)
Where: Atlanta Community Food Bank: 970 Jefferson St. NW. (Please park on the side of the building.)
* Pre-academy site visit with Mario + Urban Garden Team
Introductions: Pilot teams introduce themselves + their site plan ideas from pre-visit ( 2:30-2:50 PM)
Power point: Common community garden models, common elements (ex: pollinator patches), common tips (soil safety, reaching into beds etc.), but what makes your site and community garden unique? (2:50-3:00 PM)
Garden Team Work Stations: Teams rotate through two stations (3:00-3:30/ 3:30-4:00 PM).
- Urban Garden SAP (Special Administrative Permit)
- Urban Garden Site Plan
Team design presentations: Feedback all (4:00-4:20 PM).
Post-Workshop Homework: (4:20-4:30 PM)
- Feb 2nd deadlines: Complete Urban Agriculture SAP, Licensure, Review Vacate Policy, Insurance, fees
- Complete DRAFT Urban Garden Budget Template + bring to Academy # 2
Academy # 2: Crop Planning, Planting + 2018 Budgets
When: Saturday February 10, 2018 (2:00-4:00 PM)
* Pre-academy site visit with Maurice, Fred, or Beak to prep site + stake phase one of site plan. (1/27, 2/3, 2/10 before Academy).
Power point: Crop Planning - planting calendar by month, companions, Growveg.com, examples, tips (2:45-3:00 PM).
Garden team work stations: Teams rotate between two stations (3:00 - 3:40 PM).
- Direct Sow/ Transplant Demo (3:00- 3:20 PM).
- Crop planning + Grow Veg! (3:20-3:40).
Support & review for your 2018 crop plan: all (3:40-4:00 PM).
- Deadline Feb 28: complete staking phase 1 + spring 2018 crop plan.
- Start early seeds.
- Urban garden team fundraising, sponsorship's, grants etc.
Academy # 3: Build Your Garden Team + Garden Build Event
When: Saturday March 3, 2018 (2:00-4:00 PM)
Where: Atlanta Community Food Bank
Introductions: Urban garden team updates + celebrations (2:00-2:10 PM).
Power Point: Tools of strong, sustainable garden teams: garden guidelines, garden communication plan, garden team roles, plot rentals, common area maintenance (2:10-2:30 PM)
Garden Team Work Station 1: Work on above (2:30-3:00 PM).
Power Point: Planning your garden build event: date + checklist/resources (waivers, photo releases, resource list - materials etc.) (3:00-3:10 PM).
Garden Team Work Station 2: Plan garden build event + date + partners/team.
Presentations: Date of garden build + next steps.
Homework: Team planning + execution of your garden build event.
Academy # 4: Urban Garden Opening Celebrations
When: Saturday April 21, 2018 (Times TBD)
Locations: Grows-A-Lot Pilot Sites
AgLanta Academy # 5: Pollinator Gardens and Ecological Pest Management.
Save the Date: May 19th